Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Is It The Pledge of Allegiance?

When I was young the pledge of allegiance was said in school every morning before class. When I think back on it now, the words were probably the least important part of the practice. This was more than a pledge of words it was for a few short moments everyday, an opportunity for me and my classmates to unite as one, Americans. The class would rise, cover their hearts and pledge together as a group. The meaning of the moment is much stronger in my mind than the words. If a network that airs programs for Americans in America feels the need to edit out a portion of many peoples American experience because of the words,"one nation under god", then maybe the network should edit their bank account that holds all the money with the phrase,"in god we trust"! I'm sure there is more than a few Americans that would gladly help take that off their hands and wouldn't be afraid of a few words that only represent one part of what makes America great!

No comments:

Post a Comment